Gently Down the Seymour is a full day field trip at the Seymour Hatchery and Education Centre. A visit to the hatchery has students experiencing three interactive stations, each with an outdoor component. Each station experience is approximately 55 minutes in length. The Seymour River Hatchery provides all station materials for the field trip day. Students will have the opportunity to use tools of investigation, like chest waders, microscopes and thermometers to explore the life and habitat of Seymour River Valley.
A tour of Seymour River Hatchery to discover the role a hatchery plays in salmon conservation, view adult broodstock, as well as Coho and Steelhead fry.
Investigating Aquatic Invertebrates to show the diversity of stream life, the lunch of a salmon fry and the indicators of stream health.
Conducting a Stream Survey to identify the characteristics of healthy salmon habitat. Searching for evidence of salmon spawning.
- Dates Available: field trips will resume once it is safe to do so.
- Field Trip Time: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Grades: 2 to 6
- Cost: $125 + GST ($131.25) per class – by cheque or secure online via PayPal
- We do not accept registrations by phone or email. You are welcome to contact us with questions at anytime: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our facility accommodates 1 class per day. Our program is designed to maximize the opportunities for the hands-on involvement of our visiting students.
- Registration is first come first serve. Classes that do not receive a field trip date during the first round of registration will be placed on a waitlist.
- We offer a maximum of 2 field trip spaces per school.
- Prepare for registration by identifying 3 field trip dates that work for your class. If your 3 selected dates are no longer available, we will offer an alternative. Additional details about your availability help us to offer a suitable date. Please note, we are often fully booked shortly after registration opens and rescheduling options are very limited.
- A payment of $125.00 + GST (by cheque or by credit card via PayPal) is required to confirm your space.
- A confirmation email will be sent from email@example.com, with one of your chosen field trip dates and payment information.
Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email contacts to be sure to receive it.
September 2021 UPDATE:
- We are planning to run field trips in the Spring of 2022
- Check back here in January 2022 for the next update.
- Zooming Down the Seymour (our virtual program) registration will open late September via this website. We will be running a virtual program this Fall (2021)
- More details coming soon!